1. In a Quartenary Economic environment, strongly dominated by the Information Sector (Bell, Machlup, Porat and others), the Information emerges as a distinguish and differentiate factor, source of competitive advantages for profit and non profit organizations, dealing with the Globalization of the enterprise activities, the Globalization of the whole Economy and the Societies.
2. In a four-sector Economy, (Post-industrial Society), the fourth sector is the Information Sector.
Before, in the Industrial Society, we had the total cost of production breakdown, listed as raw materials, labour and other costs, but, now, in the Pos-Industrial Society, we must have the total cost of production breakdown, listing, raw materials, labour, other costs, and the explicit cost of Information too.
So, the availability of the Information cost, allows going through the variety of Information Management issues, and support Information Systems Governance Best Practices.
3. At same time, the profit and non profit organizations became more and more Information Based Organizations (IBO) – that means that they get, produce, store, consume and use more and more Information as an important input for their production processes and Management activities.
4. In that way, we can see Organizations face to new problems: the Information emergence as an economic and valuable resource, and the lack (absence) of adequate solutions for Information Management and Control within Organization traditional Models.
5. Therefore, because it is urgent and necessary, according to the Organisation principles, we must find / fix stable solutions to align with Information Management and Control (including all the resources, in fact, consumed during the production, storage and distribution economic chain) with the Organizational, and Processual Business approach, that must be coherent and aligned with the emergency of the main Economic Resource in our days – the INFORMATION !
6. So it’s inevitable to define, create and integrate a New Function within the traditional Organizational architecture, and adapted to the new way of doing business.
This New Function must be concerned with:
- Information Management;
- Information Technologies Management;
- Issues related with decision making process effectiveness and business efficiency;
- Other resources combined in the Informational Process.
7. This means that all the problems carried with Information, and all the resources used (combined in order to produce, storage and made available the Information needed for making decisions at different management levels, for profit and non profit organisations management activities), must be
within a New Function(Information System Management) under the superior Governance Laws.
8. Adding and accordingly to the rational behaviour characterization, in any Organization Job Description we can see that everybody needs / consumes Information ─ than the Information System Participation rate (ISPr) is always positive (ISPr > 0).
9. Finally, we must analyse, debate and design for ISG (Information Systems Governance) what are the main objectives, functionalities and tasks to input to Information Management New Function(let’s say how to get, to produce, storage and distribute the Information and what Quality grade for Information), and we must study and to propose new solutions, for the positioning of this New Function into the Organizational Models Architecture.
I. FOR THE TOP MANAGEMENT / CEO
· To assume that Information Systems and Information Management are critical issues for the Organizations way of life and his sustainability.
· To assume that Information Systems Governance is a Management high expertise and must be directly attached to the Top Management responsibilities.
· To assume that Information must be seen as one of the most valuable Corporate resource.
II. FOR THE CIO
· To assume that Information (nor Technologies) is the business core of his job.
· To assume that Information must be managed like a business.
· To develop all the tasks and activities in order to perform the Information Quality highest level.
· To focus on the Information Value Added the production and availability of the Information.
III. FOR THE STAKEHOLDERS AND END USERS
· To promote the Information Systems Architecture adopting the
client / server model for all the individuals within the Organization.
· To push the Information System design and implementation in respect of the content executives truly need for their jobs fulfilment.
· To stimulate and control the cost/benefit principle in the production and Information availability processes.
· Making the difference between Data versus Information versus Knowledge.
IV. FOR UNIVERSITY PROFESSORS
· Denouncing the current identification (equivalence) between the courses contents and the marketing contents of Information Technologies products and their supplier speeches.
· Teaching lessons avoiding the Information Technologies supplier buzzwords.
· Splitting, scientifically, the Information Technologies issues from the Information Systems very ones issues.
· Developing a clear and rigorous characterization of Information Systems Management, the Information System for Management, the Information Management, CIO, CITO and the Information Systems Governance.
· Showing the big difference between Management Job and Typewriter (with a computer) Job.
V. FOR POLITIC RESPONSABLES AND PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION TOP EXECUTIVES
· To demystify and to demythologize the Information Society and Knowledge Society concepts.
· To get that Information Technologies and piping Information Technologies, could be used in a good or bad way and they never will be the solution ─ they are and will be only tools.
· To assume that a plenty of the Information Technologies products are, only and really, absurdities, non-senses, utopias, chimeras, gadgets and fancy things.
· To conclude that there are no scientific evidences supporting the causality determination argument used to link IT, Productivity and the Organization Competiteveness.